Friday, March 26, 2021

Alaska Civil Air Patrol: Search and Rescue Training

 

The Civil Air Patrol is the civilian auxiliary of the US Air Force. Its missions, since formation in 1940, are emergency services, aerospace education, and cadet development.  Throughout the country, its squadrons are often the first people in the air to photograph damage from floods, hurricanes, and tornadoes, and to assist in locating lost hikers, boats, and planes.  Among the states, the Alaska Wing of CAP (akwg.cap.gov) performs many search and rescue (S&R) operations.  These emergencies require both practice and coordination among pilots, ground crew members, and communicators.  Lectures and simulations are useful, but nothing is better than real experience.

 

That’s where I fit in.  Although I am not a CAP member myself, my husband is.  Several times per month, I receive a call to “put out the beacon.”  This means that one of CAP’s seasoned check pilots has decided to train another flyer to detect and home in on an emergency locator device that we keep at our remote home This gives the other pilot more than half an hour's flight over largely uninhabited land to find us.  


Summer or winter, I flip the switch and position the yellow box and antenna on a nearby tree stump, where its signal will not be obscured by our metal roof.   Pilots flying north from Anchorage eventually detect the distinctively annoying tone.  To determine the direction from which the signal is emanating, the pilot engages in one or more wing nulls, which is a circling maneuver in which the wings block the transmission from the source location, enabling the plane to skew closer and closer to its destination.   Most of the time, after flying directly overhead, the pilots give us a wing wag of thanks and then fly back to base.

 

Other times, we mix it up.  In the summer, I sometimes take the beacon with me in the kayak and head out to some spot on the lake, simulating a submerged plane or a floating pilot or emergency bag.   This winter, the check pilot asked us to incorporate ground to air signalling.  What a great idea!  We considered laying out a blue tarp (known as a signal of emergency) but because of winds, I decided to try a signalling mirror and a ground indicator made of logs.  Because the afternoon was sunny and beautiful enough that a few recreational flyers were in the vicinity, I chose not to use a symbol of true emergency, like an F, which means “need food” or two parallel lines, which indicate injury.  Rather, I formed on the frozen surface of the lake in front of our cabin, two large L’s out of logs, each one about 12 feet by 7 feet.  The CAP pilot, flying at an altitude of 500 feet discerned both the signal of “Lima Lima” which means that “All is well,” and my random flickers of the signalling mirror, before returning home from successful S&R mission training.  For higher planes, a bigger shape would be important.

 

This signalling practice was as useful to me as it was to CAP.  I had to think about the relative positions of the plane, sun and mirror to make effective use of a simple hand mirror.  I also saw how much the logs sank into soft snow, obscuring a lateral view. I recommend that anyone who spends time in remote locations practice familiarity with these symbols.


In future, I look forward to additional signalling practice with the CAP pilots, pleased that I can enhance their ability to detect and interpret audible and visible emergency indicators... before they are called out for a serious situation.  

     

 

7 comments:

  1. Good information. I had a little rescue scenario up there in January 2020. You probably heard about it. My cabin burned down along all of my communications and most of my food. I was out there for 23 days with a gimp leg. Ended up writing SOS in the snow and used the black ashes from the fire to make the lettering stand out. I’m going to look into coordinating with CAP myself now, as that seems incredibly valuable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tyson, this is Bryan, Laura's husband. I am responding on her behalf since she has had a computer problem for the past few days but she looks forward to getting back to you soon. We read about your ordeal and were so impressed that you kept a cool enough head to get through it, congratulations! I am the Public Affairs Officer for the Alaska Wing of the Civil Air Patrol (www.akwg.cap.gov) so feel free to write me at Bryan.Emerson@akwg.cap.gov if I can assist you in any way with CAP. Good luck, stay safe and let's keep in touch.

      Delete
    2. Tyson, your ordeal, in our ecosystem with comparable weather, motivated my husband and me to review ground to air signaling and "what if" scenarios. I learned a lot from your resourcefulness and patience. Thank you for teaching all who read about your clever and prudent responses to your cabin fire.

      Delete
  2. Does your husband fly any R&R missions for the CAP?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Corey, this is Bryan. I am responding on her behalf since she has had a computer problem for the past few days but she looks forward to getting back to you as soon as the problem has been fixed. Yes, I am involved in several aspects of Search and Rescue missions for CAP, including as a pilot, although I am not as active as a pilot as are many others in the organization. I am also the Public Affairs Officer for the Alaska Wing (www.akwg.cap.gov) so feel free to write me at Bryan.Emerson@akwg.cap.gov if I can assist you in any way with CAP. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you communicate without a phone?
    I assume an FM radio.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We do have a phone here. My husband built a 120 foot power tower which includes antennae to connect our Verizon phone with a repeater 40 miles away. We also have aviation and ham radios. Thanks for asking.

    ReplyDelete