Thursday, April 18, 2019

Alaska Chicken Care


My sister provides  “Four Seasons” Hotel treatment to her pets.  My animal husbandry, on the other hand, is more rudimentary.  Maybe a "Motel 6" analogy is appropriate, or, since eventually, we kill and eat our animals, perhaps, the Bates Motel.

Son with chickens
She has a dedicated LIVING ROOM for her huge puppy, and thrones in each room for both dogs so that they can survey their domain, as well as supervise the ministrations of their human minions.  The puppy attends Doggy Day care one day a week to enhance his socialization with peers.  Her dogs take allergy medication.  I think they may have health insurance, too.

For her guinea pigs, she provides freshly laundered linens EVERY SINGLE DAY, and delivers organic cilantro, no doubt picked by happy, free-trade farm workers. 

If there is such a thing as reincarnation, I want to return as one of my sister's pets.

Here:  not so much.


The chicken coop looks cute from the outside, but, like a lot of cheap motels, it  is pretty modest within, as are caretaker services.

Chicken coop with run in winter
For the chicken version of a combination deodorizer and bath, I dump a bucket of cold ash in the run and coop every week through the cooler months.  It is surprisingly effective and popular with the hens.  The dust baths clean their feathers of mites and other parasites.

 I refresh the water almost every day  and toss the straw that frequently, too, but I only add fresh straw every few weeks, and deep clean  seasonally (mulching the gardens with their straw).

Only one (heat) lamp works at a time, to save power.

Like the crummy coffee and old Danish for humans on some shabby lobby counter, I share leftovers every day:  hard pizza crust or crunchy rice from the bottom of the pot.  They LOVE any fat trimmed from meat and will chase others away so they can gobble up the freebies.  I chuckle at the milk “mustaches” surrounding their beaks when they dip into old yogurt, as well as when they delicately swipe their beaks clean on the snow or straw.

Most human motels include TV for their guests’ entertainment.  For my chickens, I offer “hide and seek.” In winter, I toss the food treats here and there in the run and coop so they can scratch and look for them, which is their natural tendency anyway.  In summer, I trim lower branches of bushes so when they free range, they have places to hide out of sight of avian and mammalian predators.

Just as traveling people are likely to ask the proprietor for nearby restaurant recommendations, my hens follow me around when I weed and prune, figuring that I may know the location of something worth eating. 

Usually, my girls are quiet, but every once in a while they erupt into a prolonged period of incensed squawking.  I scurry outside to see if they are bothered by the unwanted attention by uninvited visitors, which, in our Alaska location, include wily weasels and martens as well as coyotes, bears, owls, and eagles.  I survey the vicinity and try to make it safer for them.

For this modicum of care, the six hens pay me with an average of 4 eggs per day.  Fair compensation.  Much appreciated.

2 comments:

  1. I saw your post of SB. I'm in a similar situation/state of mind only based in the SW. No where near as remote as your site however. I'm 45 miles from the nearest town and about 100 miles from the nearest WalMart and that's still a little to close (-:

    From your post on SB I understand you are using an outhouse, have you ever considered a composting toilet? I am not talking about one of the overpriced/over engineered ones you normally see, but one that is a simple DIY project that is very easy and cheap. Check out The Humanure Handbook by Joseph C. Jenkins it is very complete and covers the subject in great detail. You can also pull up information and plans though a quick search.

    Another idea you may be interested in is 'deep bedding' techniques for your hens. It will help insulate the hen house through the cold portion of the year and contrary to what it may seem it is very hygienic. Another great benefit is that you only clean out the bedding once or so during the year!

    Best of luck and love in your adventure. HAPPY EASTER!!
    Ed Mennig

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your thoughtful suggestions.
    a) Yes, I do use a deep bedding technique through the winter (8 months). I agree with your recommendation. It keeps them warmer, too.
    b) My research indicates that composting toilets work best above 55 degrees F. In our part of Alaska, we drop beneath that daily low about 9 months per year. Today, July 30, the temperature when I awoke was 56. I have researched the possibility of dumping worms in there, but vermiculture in outhouse tanks seems to include a diagonal pit design. However, I may try tossing in a pound of them next summer, with some straw and a grate. See what happens.

    ReplyDelete